Friday 16 September 2011

Slate, and it's many uses.

I've been on the hunt for some nice pieces of slate to add my mosaic to. I found a fantastic piece of purple slate, that was perfect for one of my mosaic dragonflies. It's got grey marbling through it, so the grey iridescent tiles that I use for my dragonfly work really well with it. And the shape of the slate couldn't be better. It's got a lovely smooth surface, and it's slightly angled upwards to a point. So the dragonfly's wings are angled up to the light which means the iridesence shines.

It would be great in the garden to add colour to a border, or by a pond, or on a patio, or on a deck, or in a pot.....






The other piece of slate that I got was a smaller piece that I was originally thinking I would use as a paperweight. You still could. But when I turned it over, I found the natural split that it had in it. I tested a giftcard in it, and found it would make quite a good letter rack. Or it would actually make quite a good door stop as it's slightly wedge-shaped too. Or you could use it in the garden as an ornament all the materials are frostproof. The daisy colours were chosen because there is a tan colour on top of the grey slate, and the colours tie in perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment